No one really considers working from home a viable career option. A large majority of people have the perception that someone working from home cannot, in any way, earn as much as someone who is physically going out of the house to work.
Whilst it is partially true that new people looking for stay at home jobs are usually offered a lower hourly rate, it is also true that with time, you can renegotiate and make your own place.
There are numerous jobs that one can do from the comfort of their homes and earn a stable income.
One such job is that of a Virtual Assistant. An extremely well-paying job, the job of a Virtual Assistant is not only confined to one task but thrives on an individual’s ability to juggle multiple tasks at once.
What Is A Virtual Assistant And What Do They Do?
Virtual Assistants work remotely in a virtual environment. The majority of hired virtual assistants are freelance workers who work from home and either work on hourly or monthly contracts.
A virtual assistant’s tasks are primarily similar to those of an executive secretary.
These tasks can range from something as simple as replying to emails to something as complex as logo design assisting. Some of the tasks that you as a virtual assistant might be required to do are:
- Replying to emails: This includes responding to emails either on the personal email account or to the company’s email accounts. These emails can be anything ranging from general information to sales queries. You might feel slightly intimidated, but companies usually provide templates and sample replies to use when replying to emails.
- Setting up meetings: This basically involves getting in touch with third parties and setting up meetings or responding to people who want to set up a meeting with your employer.
- Managing calendars: Most employers use Google calendars to manage their meetings and commitments. Depending on the needs of the employer the Virtual Assistant has to manage and move around meetings and conferences to make sure there are no time clashes.
- Outsourcing: This involves looking for other credible people for tasks such as blog publishing or marketing.
Where to Look For Job Offers
There are numerous sites where there are thousands of employers looking to hire virtual assistants to help manage their businesses and personal commitments. Some of the most popular for finding work as a Virtual Assistant are:
- Facebook groups: Certain Facebook groups are for the sole purpose of connecting Virtual assistants with positional employers and companies. Perfect for networking, Facebook is a great place to start.
- Upwork: This huge platform might be bit intimidating, but upwork has some of the best job postings and the largest pool of employers and employees.
- Peopleperhour: Another freelancing website, peopleperhour is extremely popular in the UK, but has job postings from around the world.
- Hiremymom: This site aims to target females working for home. It seeks to connect employers with people looking to work from home.
For anyone looking to be a Virtual Assistant, the best part is the fact that there are no degrees or certifications you need to prove eligibility. Some jobs require a basic knowledge of word processing and applications. There are however, certain qualities that one should have if they seek to be a Virtual Assistant. The ability to multi task is invaluable, as is effective communication and good organizational skills.